I believe in moving at a sustainable pace and fixing what’s broken.
My name is Kyle. I design and build digital products that are intuitive, accessible, beautiful, and fun. I’ve done this professionally since 2012, and I’ve been designing for the web since 2007.
This is a home for things I’ve made and how I’ve made them. My goal is for anyone (and anyone’s grandma) to understand what I’ve written. Although the focus is on my design and the process behind it, case studies occasionally detour to explore interesting, relevant topics.
Good design stems from:
- Understanding. Before prescribing solutions, research why things are the way they are. There’s a reason. (But that doesn’t mean the reason is right.) Listen to experts in whatever form they take.
- Principle. Value well-being over profitability and engagement. A quick win isn’t worth sacrificing your convictions.
- Order. Problems feel less daunting when you’re not surrounded by chaos. Clean up messes, even ones you didn’t make. Your teammates will thank you.
- Inclusivity. Design with, and for, others who are not like you. You’ll create better solutions, and seeing life from a new perspective is a wonderful gift.
- Humility. Sometimes you’ll be wrong. Accept it early and move on. Sometimes the real solution lies beyond your power. That’s ok, too. Suggest a path forward.
Since February 2019, I’ve worked at Cityblock helping to integrate primary care, behavioral health, and social services to improve health for underserved communities.
Message me at firstname.lastname@example.org—my inbox is always open. If you’re in New York, coffee or drinks are welcome, too. Say hi.
Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one’s mistakes.The Picture of Dorian Gray
If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn’t part of ourselves doesn’t disturb us.Demian
Less, but better.Ten Principles for Good Design
When principles of design replicate principles of thought, the act of arranging information becomes an act of insight.Visual Explanations
Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.Adventure Time
The moment just past is extinguished forever, save for the things made during it.The Shape of Time
The world shapes us, and we get to shape the world.The Shape of Design
Typography is to literature as musical performance is to composition: an essential act of interpretation, full of endless opportunities for insight or obtuseness.The Elements of Typographic Style
That’s the challenge for all of us—to create warmth in a digital world. We’re still analogue beings. Our brains and eyes are analogue.Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.Futurama
Everything you’re sure is right can be wrong in another place.The Poisonwood Bible